Hot Schedules is coming. Its rapid growth has it on track to become the dominant scheduling system in restaurants. As a user for several months, I want to provide a frank and unbiased view of the system. These opinions are mine alone and in no way represent the company that I am employed by. They […]
Archive | Restaurant Scheduling Systems RSS feed for this section
A few months ago the restaurant I work at (and who my opinions in no way represent) began using the Hot Schedules program for scheduling. For those of you not familiar with this system, it is a web based system for scheduling employees. It is experiencing incredibly rapid growth and is becoming more commonplace within […]
One of the most time consuming tasks a manager faces during the week is writing the server schedule. Hours can be spent digging up scraps of paper and consulting server availability just to get coverage for a particular shift. This is followed by the inevitable complaints from people who work too little or too much. […]
Yesterday I discussed the disadvantages of having a set schedule. While I think I managed to make some valid points, it was sort of hollow. The primary reason I am still at my current job is because of my schedule. It took about two and a half years, but I managed to get my ideal […]
Saturday night I spent some time on the patio with one of the newer servers at my restaurant. He is low on seniority, but has spent more years serving than I have. I estimate total the two of us have between three and four decades of serving experience. I am pretty high on seniority at […]
- The Greatest Customer Complaint Response Ever September 23, 2010
- A Food Critic Intervention August 31, 2010
- My Response: 25 Things Chefs Never Tell You September 16, 2010
- Learning Restaurant Spanish (Nouns) June 2, 2010
- The Epiphany July 1, 2010
- Advice For A New Restaurant Manager January 18, 2013
- Was The 20/20 Restaurant Episode Fake? A View From The Cutting Room Floor November 21, 2012
- How To Hire Professional Restaurant Servers Fast September 10, 2012
- The Importance of Speed in Hiring Restaurant Servers July 2, 2012
- Six Dangers Of Restaurant Server Understaffing June 19, 2012
- Master_Rabbit: Here’s advice from a 10 year veteran. Try anot...
- Diogenes65: Yesterday afternoon my wife and I had a mediocre d...
- Gabriel Dashan: https://www.quora.com/How-much-does-a-1-hamburger-...
- Gabriel Dashan: oh yeah,5% profit. Only a fool would believe in it...
- New York Classifieds: Great article, thanks for sharing. The best advice...
Search By Topic
About The Author
David Hayden was born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri. He took his first serving job in 1996. Since that time, he has worked for over a dozen different restaurant companies. He has held both hourly and salaried positions at independent and corporate restaurants. He has waited on over 100,000 guests and trained hundreds of servers. He has been named "Best Server in Kansas City" the last three years by the local weekly paper.