Seven habits to avoid in order to be a better restaurant manager The main reason this blog exists is to help restaurant management professionals seeking insight on how to be a better restaurant manager. As a result it is filled with tips on what restaurant managers can do to improve their effectiveness. Today, I wanted […]
Archive | Improving Restaurant Productivity RSS feed for this section
Motivating servers is a tricky business. Without question servers crave autonomy and tend to resist being told what to do. At the same time, managers in general are given very little guidance on what is perhaps the most important part of their jobs. Two similar restaurants in the same company with the same menu and […]
For those of you who do not know me personally, I have a confession to make. I am a huge history nerd. This means that The History Channel’s “America: The History of Us” is taking up a large portion on my DVR. I was watching the episode on World War II the other day when […]
Restaurants are growing more multilingual everyday. Hard working immigrants from throughout Latin America are respected and appreciated members of the restaurant world. The language barrier can be daunting, but overcoming it will help you appreciate some of the most interesting people in your restaurant. Learning enough Spanish to be able to communicate effectively is often […]
- The Greatest Customer Complaint Response Ever September 23, 2010
- A Food Critic Intervention August 31, 2010
- My Response: 25 Things Chefs Never Tell You September 16, 2010
- Learning Restaurant Spanish (Nouns) June 2, 2010
- The Epiphany July 1, 2010
- Advice For A New Restaurant Manager January 18, 2013
- Was The 20/20 Restaurant Episode Fake? A View From The Cutting Room Floor November 21, 2012
- How To Hire Professional Restaurant Servers Fast September 10, 2012
- The Importance of Speed in Hiring Restaurant Servers July 2, 2012
- Six Dangers Of Restaurant Server Understaffing June 19, 2012
- Ina Stefanova: This is an excellent resource, David! I will defin...
- John Blackman: My first visit to this site and what a great lesso...
- Master_Rabbit: Here’s advice from a 10 year veteran. Try anot...
- Diogenes65: Yesterday afternoon my wife and I had a mediocre d...
- Gabriel Dashan: https://www.quora.com/How-much-does-a-1-hamburger-...
Search By Topic
About The Author
David Hayden was born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri. He took his first serving job in 1996. Since that time, he has worked for over a dozen different restaurant companies. He has held both hourly and salaried positions at independent and corporate restaurants. He has waited on over 100,000 guests and trained hundreds of servers. He has been named "Best Server in Kansas City" the last three years by the local weekly paper.